Wednesday, April 2, 2008


Thurston Conrad Heaggans
Corporal Thurston Conrad Heaggans, casualty of the Vietnam War. As a member of the Army Selective Service, CPL Heaggans served our country until November 15th, 1970 in Kontum, South Vietnam. He was 20 years old and was not married. Thurston died from an undetermined explosion. His body was recovered. Thurston was born on August 10th, 1950 in Troutman, North Carolina.
I remember when I was a boy, my time in NC was marked by a lot of experiences. One of the things that always stood out to me the most was regarding my Aunt Oneva. She was so mean. Everyone thought she was mean. I hated to go there and when we'd visit, I dreaded the thought that we might have to stay there.
I never gave any consideration to what might have happened in her life to cause her to be as unpleasant as she could be. She never let us down and never set us back - she just wasn't as personable as the rest of my family. Thurston Heaggans was her only son. I now wonder what effect that had on her over the years.

No comments: